Another great meeting at the Orange County Modern Quilt Guild! More beautiful quilts were shown and we have made lots of progress on our Quilt Con Charity Quilt.
Thank you to Karen for allowing us to meet at Cosmic Quilting. She is always such a great hostess.
We started our meeting with a talk from Kathy about her past sewing experience. She has done a lot of quilting from Traditional to Art Quilting to Modern. Her pursuit for knowledge of the every changing quilting method has taken her around the world. We were honored that she shared many quilts with us. Lastly she talked about her applique Dresden Plate quilt that we all admired that month. Kathy thirst for her desired results is by always asking herself “What if…?”
Our challenge quilt for Quilt Con 2016 looked awesome. Thank you to all those who put in so much work to get the top and back done. Our “Improv with Intent” drew lots of comments on how to quilt it. Thanks to Karen and with the help of Susan to quilt it in a Regatta flavor. Given that the quilt looks like sailboats floating around, our intent may resemble the Disney movie – The Boatniks.http://video.disney.com/watch/the-boatniks-trailer-4beae8fcda631dc60c94e3f9
What do you think?
We are all looking forward to our Thanksgiving challenge. Design and make a quilt based on a book. Everyone will be a winner in this challenge! Material will be available at our next sew on September 13, 2015 at Cosmic Quilting. The quilt is due – at the November 19th meeting.
The Soka University show is coming quickly – September 26th and 27th. Please contact Bunnie about volunteering at our booth. Additionally, if you are displaying a quilt, you will need to add a four inch sleeve on the back and email Bunnie with the dimensions. email@example.com Be sure to bring it to our next meeting or directly to Soka University.
We are still collecting pillowcases for the million pillowcase challenge. We were able to add 5 more to our goal of 100. Come to the sew on the 13th and we can make more to reach our goal. Or you can make some from your scraps and follow this tutorial. Pillowcase Tutorial
It was a great night of sharing!
· Kayley shared another beautiful quilt using an applique technique which she will share with us next month using No Melt Maylar. We are looking forward to it.
· Kathy – Beautiful Tessellation quilt was hanging on the wall in the Cosmic Quilting Studio. For those interested….Allison Glass pattern Tessellation
· Kathy also shared her Painted Forest from Blue Nickels Studio
· Cecile – Shared an Anna Marie Horner fabric quilt.
· Shelley – Shared her amazing Dresden Plate quilt from Love, Patchwork and Quilting called Carousel. For more information: http://www.lovepatchworkandquilting.com/
· Janet shared her adorable Fox Quilt from Elizabeth Hartman called Fancy Fox
And the beautiful denim was from Merchant and Mills
Reminder: Cecile is having an Open Studio tomorrow Saturday August 29 from 10 am to 1 pm!
Sewing Party 23181 Verdugo Drive Suite 102 Laguna Hills, CA 92653
See you at our next meeting is scheduled for September 24th at Cecile Studio! Don’t forget about the sew on the 13th and pick up some FREE fabric for your Thanksgiving Challenge at Cosmic Quilting!